Re: [IPp] Re: Choosing a pump and using a Continous Glucose Monitor

I'd like to second the comments posted by the Kubicka Family.
Our family has three type 1 diabetics all on the Animas IR 1250 insulin
pump.  My wife was dx in 2001 and started pumping with a Minimed 512 in 2003
while pregnant with our son.  My daughter was dx 2 month away from her 3rd
bday and started on an Animas IR1250 about six months later due to it's low
basal rates and waterproofness (at which time my wife also switched to the
IR 1250 due to many of its features including the insulin on board
calculations).  Our son was dx a month after his 2nd bday and started on the
IR 1250 three months later.
For the kids, which are relatively thin, we use a 6mm Inset along the top of
the buttocks and rotate sides each site change.  We use ice in a baggie or a
small ice pack to cool the area before insertion and cover the entire site
with and IV3000 dressing to prevent from snagging on the site when pulling
pants/underwear up and down.  No problems with the sites coming off in the
pool or tub.
We have had good customer support with any pump issues from both companies,
but feel the local sales rep for the company plays a huge roll in overall
satisfaction.  Our Animas rep in western PA is outstanding - going above and
beyond in so many ways.
We also use the hard copy of CalorieKing to aid in carb counting and then
use the carbsmart feature on the pump.  We have copies of it at home,
relatives, preschool, and my wife's purse.  If you are at a chain restaurant
and the item is not in the book most places have the nutritional analysis if
you ask the manager for it.
We are also waiting until insurance covers the CGMS and hoping the size of
the sensor site will get better by then also.
Good Luck to you and just select which ever pump you think will work best
for you.