Re: [IPp] Re: Choosing a pump and using a Continous Glucose Monitor

 Hi Stephanie,

Kudos to you for working on getting a pump for Jake quickly.  We love having
a pump!

We chose Animas for the waterproof features and the smaller increments.  The
small basal increments are *so* helpful during the honeymoon period.

We've never used the carb database, but carb count very carefully using the
Calorie King" book.

We knew the CGMS was coming for Minimed when we chose to go with Animas, but
we felt that there was just so much you could hang from a toddler's body,
and it without it being covered by insurance initially, we chose to wait for
that.  When it is covered by insurance, we could petition a new pump before
the warranty on our Animas is over, due to medical necessity.  We definitely
will be using a CGMS when it's covered by insurance.  At that time, Mollie
will be big enough to have another device attached.  It would be awesome if
that would happen by kindergarten...   :)

The only thing I don't like abou the animas pump is the fixed time
increments for the I:C ratios.  So sometimes it's a pain if breakfast is
late or lunch is early then it uses the wrong ratio.  It's easy to override
though, just a minor pain.

Best of luck to you.  I'll repeat what someone told me when we were trying
to decide which pump to go with:  whatever pump you choose, you'll love it
and not be able to imagine life without it!

Melissa
Married to Tom 20 years
Mom to Jono (12 yrs), Jacob (7 yrs)
and Mollie ( 3 yrs, dx 9-16-05, pumping Animas 12-12-05)
Hastings, Nebraska

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He
didn't trust me so much."
---Mother Teresa

imstp_usa.gif]