Re: [IPp] infusion sets for skitterish girl

  If your daughter is very thin you will probably want to use an
angled insertion set. We use the Comfort short angled sets for my 3
year old son. The pump company originally sent us the straight inset
sites but my son was too thin for them (and he still has a little bit
of baby fat) so we couldn't use them. It was very uncomfortable for my
son to use the straight inset sites - it would cause a burning
sensation every time we gave him a bolus. The insulin absorption rate
also was not right with the straight insets.
  We use prilocaine & lidocaine numbing cream (I think generic for
EMLA) when we change sites. I don't understand why some people say
that you shouldn't use the cream because you might need to change the
site right away and then you wouldn't be able to use it. In our pump
training we were taught that if you ever needed to change the site
because of absorption problems and a high blood sugar that you should
give an injection to correct the high and then change the site. If the
site fell out our pump rep said that you can be disconnected from the
pump for an hour or so anyway, so there's not any immediate danger to
wait 20-30 minutes for the numbing cream to work before putting a new
site in. It takes us about 15-20 minutes just to get everything ready
to change the site anyway (taking insulin out, gathering supplies,
filling the cartridge, etc.)
   Our son is very fearful of the needle when we do site changes and
sometimes it is hard (have to hold him down) but it is still much
better than doing 4 or more injections everyday. He can't feel the
needle going in because of the numbing cream but he gets very upset if
he sees the needle. We just try to distract him and do it as quickly
as we can. The level of control that you can gain by using the pump
makes the site changes well worth it even if your daughter is very
skittish about it. Before going on the pump we talked it up a lot to
our son and he was very excited when his pump arrived. He's very proud
of his pump and shows it to everyone he meets. If you are positive
about the pump and teach your daughter about the advantages of using
it I think you might be surprised about how well she handles using it.
My son has always surprised us with how brave he is handling
everything related to diabetes.
Good luck!
Cathy