RE: [IPp] Continuous Monitoring Insurance Coverage

No - you use it constantly.  Once the sensor is on - it should stay on -
hopefully up to 72 hours.  It's waterproof.

You  place a sensor on your child and adhere it using some type of
medical tape that comes with the sensors.  Personally,  I think the
sensor is too large - at least  for a toddler.  My husband didn't seem
to mind the size.    Then you insert a connector piece into your child's
skin - this is similar to inserting the pump.    The sensor connects to
this insertion type plug - (not sure what the official term is for this
insertion piece).  This insertion is a separate insertion from the pump.
I felt that a lot of space was being used up on my child's back.  My son
is 20 months and it felt like his little rear - to his mid back had some
sort of medical device on it.   I think it would be better for older
kids that are taller.

Once everything is inserted, the sensor immediately starts talking to
the pump.  This part is very nice.  You can look up the blood sugars on
the pump all day long if you want to.  It will show you if the blood
sugar is going up or down. It actually gives you a blood sugar number.
So, you can compare the number  of the continuous monitor with the true
glucose meter.  You can see the trends.  When we officially tested
Jake's sugar - the difference between the Continuous Monitoring System
and the glucose  meter was approx. 25-35% different.  So, if the monitor
showed Jake's sugar at 100 - the Glucose meter showed 135 or 140.  This
stayed pretty consistent for the first 36 hours.   After 36 hours the
difference between the 2 started changing  and it eventually locked the
pump up.   It appears that when the blood sugars are very different -
between the Continuous Monitor and the glucose meter - the pump doesn't
know what to do - so it shows an error and locks up.  The user manual
tells you how to unlock the pump when this error occurs - but it didn't
work.   We tried many times and finally had to call Medtronics.  When
the pump locks up - you can not pump any insulin out of it.

Joy