From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Joy Simon
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 7:28 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPp] Continuous Monitoring Insurance Coverage

My husband and I ordered the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System from
Medtronic's -paid $999.00 out of pocket.   This weekend we tried the
system on Jake - age 20 months.   The system lasted approx. 24-30 hours
before the readings were completely wrong.  AND - when the readings are
very different from the blood glucose meter - the pump locks up and
gives you an error.  I could not unlock the pump and my husband couldn't
either.  At one point my husband removed the batteries out of the pump
and replaced them to try and unlock it.  This seemed to work at first,
but then it locked up again on us.    It was scary to have this happen
as we could not  give Jake insulin after breakfast.   It was hard to get
someone at Medtronic's on the phone at that moment so I removed the pump
and put Jake's old pump back on to give him the insulin.  It was a very
scary experience.  Finally Medtronic's answered my call and showed me
how to unlock the pump.  But, I still am too nervous to try it again.

It is true that you will need to replace this System every year.
Medtronic's does admit that the life of the Continuous Glucose
Monitoring System only lasts for one year.  So, my husband and I are
thinking about returning the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (you
have 30 days to return it and get your money back).  It's a very
expensive unit - and if it only lasts one year - it's almost not worth
it to us.  Also, we can't believe that  we only got 24 hours of somewhat
close readings of Jake's sugars before it went bad. Medtronic's told us
that the life of one of the units is usually 24-48 hours.  When it was
working, there  was about  25% difference between the Blood Glucose
meter and the Continues Monitoring System.    It did detect a low for us
at 2 AM on Saturday night.  The alarms went off and my husband went to
check what was going on.  The system said Jake's sugars were 50 but when
we took his actual blood sugar with the Blood Glucose Meter it showed us
that he was at 80.

We are not positive about what we will do - but we are leaning towards
returning it until the technology gets a little more stable.  At least
on toddlers.

Joy - mom to Jake - age 20 months, dxd 12/05 at 12 months, pumping
minimed since 4/05.