RE: [IPp] family bed

My son Jake was diagnosed at 12 months.  He was sleeping through the
night at that time but since he was hospitalized with diabetes - he
became panicked about sleeping alone.   Once released from the hospital
he would wake up 2-4 times a night.  We would constantly check his
sugars to see what was going on and then we would put him in bed with
us..   This went on for  6-7 months. We did this mostly because we
needed to get as much sleep as we could.   My husband and I both work
full time.   After a while, when we knew Jake's sugars were ok overnight
- thanks to the pump,  we soon realized the bed routine was becoming a
bad habit.  We were scared that he would be sleeping with us for the
next 10 years.  So we decided to try and break the habit before it was
too late.  We did this  by going in Jake's room and sleeping with him on
the floor every time he would wake up.  Once he fell asleep we would
leave and go back to our own beds.  If he got up again that same night
we would go back in his room and sleep with him on the floor. Jake is
still in a crib so the floor was the only option.  It was pretty hard at
first.  I did this routine more than my husband.   I eventually bought
an air mattress for Jake to sleep on.  We would only use it in the
middle of the night. We would put Jake to sleep in his crib.  Once we
started sleeping next to him on the floor and then leaving once he was a
sleep- the pattern of him getting up at night eventually went away.
It's only been 3 weeks - but he has slept through the night pretty much
every night now.   I guess he figured out that he was not going to get
the reward of sleeping next to mom and dad in a big comfortable bed.

I know that your daughter is much older than Jake and probably has
different needs. But  it may have also become a habit.  You may want to
try to break the habit by doing the same thing.  Don't let her sleep in
your bed anymore.   Let her know that things are going to change at
night and if she is having problems sleeping she should wake you up and
you will go lay down in her bed with her.  Then once she is asleep you
can leave and go back to your own bed.  Eventually she will see that she
can make it in her own bed.  Hopefully the habit will go away. I

Good luck!
Joy,
mom to Jacob - 20 months, dx 12/05 at 12 months, pumping minimed since
4/06