Re: [IPp] Stem Cell Bill Coming Up for Senate Vote

    Sorry I should have been a little more specific in my email, we do not
support embryonic stem cell research. You can learn more about the debate
and the issues involved by reading President Bush's statement on this
website:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/08/20010809-2.html
    This description of embryonic stem cell research was taken from the
NIH's website:
"Where do stem cells come from?
Pluripotent stem cells are isolated from human embryos that are a few days
old. Cells from these embryos can be used to create pluripotent stem cell
"lines" -cell cultures that can be grown indefinitely in the laboratory.
Pluripotent stem cell lines have also been developed from fetal tissue
obtained from fetal tissue (older than 8 weeks of development)."
  "Embryos from which ESCs [embroyonic stem cells] are extracted are
destroyed in the process."
  I am a Christian and believe we should value all life. It is never okay to
destroy one human being in an effort to cure another. As President Bush
states, "Even the most noble ends do not justify any means." There are other
sources of stem cells that can be used for research that do not involve
destroying life - such as adult cells, umbilical cords that are discarded
after babies are born, and from human placenta.
  There is also other promising research for a cure for type 1 diabetes that
does not involve the use of embryonic stem cells. I hope you got a chance to
visit the Iacocca Foundation's website at www.joinleenow.org Dr. Faustman's
research has cured type 1 diabetes in mice and clinical trials in humans are
scheduled to begin in 2007.
Cathy
Mom to Riley (5), Cole (3, dx'd 9/05 pumping Animas since 6/06), Owen (20
mos)