Re: [IPp] family bed

I'm one of only a few parents I know of who still sleeps with their child
(at 11 years old) and I refuse to apologize for it.  There are  a couple of
 times now that I've caught severe lows that I don't know how it would have
turned
out if I weren't right there to test and take  action.  I can't even think
about it.  Diabetes is nerve wracking  enough for me to let the fact that my
 child is sleeping with me be an issue. I would love for him to feel that he is
safe to sleep in his own  bed, but the reality, it seems to me, is that he is
not. Everyone seems to find  their own way to deal with this and this has been
ours.  My son is well  adjusted, an excellent student, and in no hurry to
grow up.  In this day  and age that is okay with me. My two cents.  Deborah

Good Morning All,

I haven't seen this topic addressed in our  forum but then again I only joined
about 9 months ago. My daughter is almost  12 and was diagnosed in December
2004.
Prior to diagnosis, Frances would  crawl into bed with us during the night
about
2-3 times a week, usually  around 5am after she woke to use the restroom.
Since
one of us would be  getting up near that time anyway we didn't make a big deal
about it.  Sometimes Frances would go a week or more without joining us. If
her
sisters  spend the night out she wants to sleep with us since our bedroom  is
downstairs and Frances feels "lonely."

Frances is a very  intelligent, organized child (aren't they all?). She is
very
particular about  her appearance. She keeps her room very neat and she likes
keep everything  else neat as well. This neatness has escalated since
diagnosis -
she will  walk in the house and start straightening everything, sweeping, etc.
Maybe  she is a little OCD?

She does a good job with diabetes management  considering her age. She likes
do site changes herself, she likes to  manage her pump herself, etc. She does
well in school, plays several sports,  does stuff with friends (less friend
visits this summer since many of her  friends are at camps on or vacations),
fights with her sisters - pretty  typical kid.

In the last two months or so, Frances wants to sleep with us  every night. She
doesn't have a problem going to sleep in her own bed. She  just wakes up every
night and joins us. We've tried limiting liquids at  night, getting her new
sheets & comforter, rearranging her room to make  it cozier, etc. My husband
and
I are usually so dead asleep that we don't  even notice when she comes in. If
you
ask Frances about sleeping with us, she  says she feels "better when I'm in
the
middle of Mom and Dad." She doesn't  get upset if we talk about it (unless
one of
her sisters comments). My  husband and I don't treat her like a baby, she does
chores, is punished when  necessary.

How do we reclaim our bedroom? I want Frances to feel safe by  herself. I know
diabetes is a factor in this - perhaps the OCD is her way to  gain control
since
her body has failed her. I'd appreciate your  thoughts.
Thank you and have a blessed day,
Lecie  Harrison