[IPp] family bed

Good Morning All,

 I haven't seen this topic addressed in our forum but then again I only joined
about 9 months ago. My daughter is almost 12 and was diagnosed in December 2004.
Prior to diagnosis, Frances would crawl into bed with us during the night about
2-3 times a week, usually around 5am after she woke to use the restroom. Since
one of us would be getting up near that time anyway we didn't make a big deal
about it. Sometimes Frances would go a week or more without joining us. If her
sisters spend the night out she wants to sleep with us since our bedroom is
downstairs and Frances feels "lonely."

 Frances is a very intelligent, organized child (aren't they all?). She is very
particular about her appearance. She keeps her room very neat and she likes to
keep everything else neat as well. This neatness has escalated since diagnosis -
she will walk in the house and start straightening everything, sweeping, etc.
Maybe she is a little OCD?

 She does a good job with diabetes management considering her age. She likes to
do site changes herself, she likes to manage her pump herself, etc. She does
well in school, plays several sports, does stuff with friends (less friend
visits this summer since many of her friends are at camps on or vacations),
fights with her sisters - pretty typical kid.

 In the last two months or so, Frances wants to sleep with us every night. She
doesn't have a problem going to sleep in her own bed. She just wakes up every
night and joins us. We've tried limiting liquids at night, getting her new
sheets & comforter, rearranging her room to make it cozier, etc. My husband and
I are usually so dead asleep that we don't even notice when she comes in. If you
ask Frances about sleeping with us, she says she feels "better when I'm in the
middle of Mom and Dad." She doesn't get upset if we talk about it (unless one of
her sisters comments). My husband and I don't treat her like a baby, she does
chores, is punished when necessary.

 How do we reclaim our bedroom? I want Frances to feel safe by herself. I know
diabetes is a factor in this - perhaps the OCD is her way to gain control since
her body has failed her. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you and have a blessed day,
Lecie Harrison