From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 10:44 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPp] PUBERTY - HELP???

Debbie,
Just try to remember my mantra..
." The only consistent thing about diabetes is the  inconsistency"...
Jesse at 14 is all over the place due to hormones too...He grew 6 inches in
the last year, is now 6 ft tall, and his endo says he isnt finished yet...
 His I:C ratios are :
Breakfast 1:8
lunch, dinner etc.. 1:10
active bolus 1:14

Basals before he started untethering last week were:
12am    1.1
5am      1.35   ( gotta love that dawn  phenomenom...
9am      1.1
8pm      1.35

Stacey

Hi everyone,

I really need help.

My son is 13 and is  definitely in puberty.  But I am trying to understand the
inconsistency  of his numbers as of late.  Some days his numbers are great,
others no  pattern at all.  The other night I checked him at 2 am and his bg
was  99.  That morning he awoke at 86.  Great!!  Last night, BG at 146  awoke
at
220.  No difference at all in anything we are doing from one  day to the next.
Site is fine, pump is working.  I have noticed this  over and over again.
Just
about the time I am wanting to adjust his  middle of the night basals, he has
"normal" reading.  Which makes me  fearful that he'll go low if I adjust.  I
know these are some of the  woes of diabetes, but I feel I am constantly
second
guessing myself  here.
Also, would like to know what some of the rest of the early teens are  doing
as
far as insulin to carb ratios and bolus patterns.  Kendall's  insulin to carb
ratios are:

b'fast  - 1u for 7 gr.
lunch - 1 u  for 9 gr.
dinner - 1 u for 10 gr.

Some days these numbers work great,  other days not.

basal pattern - 12 am 1.3; 6 am .9; 12 pm .8; 3pm .65; 9  pm 1.0

Debbie Crawford
Elberton, GA
Mom to Kristin, 19; Kelsey,  16 and Kendall, 13 (dx'd 11/99; pumping  Cozmo
4/03)