Re: [IPp] re: testing frequency

I agree with Charlotte on testing.  We're on a 3 month reorder for
supplies - and it seems we run out
right before the 3 months is up - that's 1200 test strips for 90 days.
 My 11 year old daugher, who's had
diabetes @ 17 months - just started the pump last October.  Her A1C was
never below the
8 or 9 range - until May - 7.5!  and I too believe testing more often
helps - you spot the highs right away
and correct them, most of the time.  Normal testing is AM, before lunch,
afternoon - before swimming, after swimming and replugging in, before
supper, before bedtime snack, then we test before we go to bed, and then
usually 1 time in middle of night, unless she's high (or low) - and
we'll check again in 2 hours.  That's a minimum of 8 times a day - but
more if she's really high or she feels low, which averages out about 10
x a day.
Seems alot - but I'd rather be safe than sorry too.
And of course, when middle school starts (first year), this Mom will
again be a little nervous with a new school and nurse, until she gets
the hang of it - so I'm sure they'll be testing often there too.
The drs know alot - but not as much as Moms of children who live with
this every day.
Good luck!
Cathy in Kansas, Mom to Rachel 11, dx diabetes 9/93, celiac 1/02,
thyroid 7/02, pumping 10/02