[IPp] Re:You Know You're The Parent of A "D" Child When...

Hi all,
       As we know, its pretty hard to start letting go and allowing your
child to take responsibility for boluses and such.
       Claire, who is now 9, is invited to so many birthday parties.  This
weekend I just had to allow her to figure out on her own how much to bolus for
 what she ate. They were in a restaurant and she had chicken fingers and fries,
ice-cream cake, then at the movie the girls all had lots of sweets.  So, four
hours after dropping her off, we had the moment of truth.  Only 0.5 unit off
in her calculations!  I thought that was really, really great.  Bolusing with
the H-tron pump is very easy and intuitive for kids.  Each audio beep delivers
0.5 units (you can have this set lower if you desire).  So she has developed
a good knack for knowing how much food or sweets for "one beep".
       Of course it makes me very nervous, but I know I have to start giving
her responsibility for this.  Now if only she could do her own sites she could
go to diabetes camp next summer, which I know she would really love.  She
abhors the idea of someone other than me doing a site change!

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9, pumping 27 months