RE: [IPp] You Know You're The Parent of A "D" Child When...

Just goes to show how different our experiences are with all of our
children and diabetes.  Given that my son uses a ratio of 1 unit of
insulin to 45 or 50 grams of carb, rounding off to the nearest unit of
insulin wouldn't work at all.  We can go a whole week without a meal
bolus that even gets to 1.0 unit!

As for decimals and little kids, Oliver was diagnosed just after he
turned two and has understood decimals since pretty shortly thereafter.
Given that we do blood glucose in mmol/L (target range is between 4.0
and 11.1 for toddlers) he's known for a long, long time how to read a
decimal number -- "my sugar's seven point five mommy!  And, he knows
what 2.4 means versus 24.0 -- we often got both those numbers when we
were on shots. Thank god for pumps and the .05 basal rate is all I can
say!  For any parents of very small children who are considering pumping
but are concerned whether or not it's worth the effort, if you're using
10 units of insulin a day or less, I can't imagine doing anything else.
The pump is a tool that all parents of diabetic toddlers should work
towards.

Just my two cents and feeling chatty tonight.  Take care all,

Leanne
Mom of Oliver, b 6/99, dx 10/01, pumping 1/03