RE: [IPp] opinions about pumps

A  recent post asked for users' experience with the Cozmo.  We love
ours!  We chose the Cozmo for our then-17-month old daughter
specifically for its built-in calculation features, to make it easier
for our day-care provider (although also for us).  We pretty much made
this decision after a sales presentation from Deltec to our local
insulin pumper's group, at which the remainder of the audience was all
swooning and salivating  over the features of this pump, and asking if
there was a trade-in program, and counting out loud how long till their
insurance companies would let them trade up.  The audience (except for
us) was all veteran pumpers, some on Mini-Med, some Animas, some
Disetronic.   I also researched the FDA recall history for all the
pumps (and, on Deltec, for their other model pumps).  All of the
manufacturers have had either recalls or warning letters from the FDA -
but the Deltec  history seemed less scary to me than the others.  We
never really looked into Mini-Med because we decided straight away that
we wanted a luer-lock connection to the infusion site; if someone comes
up with a better infusion site technology, we want to be able to use it
(not restricted by a proprietary type connection at the pump, as the
Paradigm has).  Also, our CDE specifically discouraged us from choosing
Mini-Med, on the grounds that she had seen too many problems with their
pump, and that the company had not been appropriately responsive in her
opinion.  Now, she also discouraged us from getting the Cozmo, on the
grounds that she thought it would be stupid to be the first ones to get
a new model pump.   This didn't bother us.  I work with the FDA
regulations governing drugs and medical devices, and I know how
stringent they are.

It sounds like both Deltec and MiniMed are coming out with significant
upgrades to their pumps soon.  If you're willing to be the first on
your block with a new model, it would be worth your while to at least
check out the websites for both; probably the companies would be happy
to send you a videotaped sales pitch also.

Regardless, ANY pump will allow you to match the insulin to your
child's life, rather than forcing your child's life to fit the insulin.

  - Maria
mom to Sigrid, dx'd @11 mos., pumping since  17 mos.