Re: [IPp] opinions about pumps

My 11 yo daughter has Medtronic's new Paradigm pump.  She got it in October.
She has had diabetes since 17 mos old.  She loves the pump and never
wants to
without worrying
about long lasting insulin and getting low - has really helped.  We are
happy with the
pump.  She still has very irregular nights however, and so my husband
and I take
turns and get up at least once a night to check her.  There are nights
when we go
to bed and she is 94 (last night). Perfect #, and before pump, we would
"beef her up"
with snack so she wouldn't get low.  She ate a cheese stick then and
went to bed.
At 3:30 she was 237???? So it is trial and error and each day seems a
little different -
but now when she chooses to eat - she just dials in the bolus based on
her carbs
and has become very responsible.  The company was wonderful when we had
problems in the very beginning with the canula getting crimped.  She
uses the quickset
but it crimps in her stomach, so we use it on her backside just below
her waistline.
I can't wait until the time when the pump "knows" that she is low and
drops the basal
rate - instead of us having to test her all the time.  I hope before she
is out of high school
we have even more modern advances, as well as testing without actually
drawing blood.
(She doesn't want glucowatch because she heard it leaves sores on her arm).
Good luck with your decision.  Please keep us posted.
Cathy in Kansas, Mom to RAchel 11, dx diabetes 9/93, celiac 1/02,
thyroid 7/02, pumping 10/02