From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Maria Oyaski
Sent: June 29, 2003 9:33 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] that vaccine website

Hey all,

A recent post listed a website which claimed to prove that vaccination
caused diabetes.  Since the sender asked what other POP readers thought
of the website -

(1) No single scientific study ever proves anything.   What we know
about the world is always subject to change as more knowledge is
gained, as better technologies are developed, etc.  However, this
website promotes a single study as "proving" that diabetes is caused by
vaccines; this tells me that the company behind the website is not to
be taken seriously as a scientific resource.

(2) Note that this website states that it "proves" that diabetes is
caused by vaccines, in practically the same breath used to proclaim
that their patented technology is available for licensing.  This makes
it pretty clear that their primary goal is not really education or
improvement of public health.  Further, they have apparently not been
able to find any buyers for their technology through any traditional
business avenues.

(3) The site is correct in stating that there is little financial
incentive to develop new vaccines.  This is largely because current
vaccines are very safe and very effective (albeit not entirely
perfect).  Developing vaccines which could be fractionally better
probably isn't cost-effective.  Another disincentive is the fact that
websites like this encourage the paranoia and hysteria which encourage
frivolous lawsuits against vaccine manufacturers.  And then, finally,
ask yourself:  would *you* consider it a good business plan to develop
a product such that, once it existed, most of the world would insist
that you had a moral obligation to give it to them for free?

Check out the following website (your tax money has paid for it, after
all) to find out more about vaccine safety, what has been done recently
and is being done to make safer vaccines, and how to apply for
compensation in the case of injury from vaccines (yes, they do occur,
albeit rarely, and there is a formal government program available for
financial compensation to victims)

Maria Oyaski
mom to Sigrid, dx'd @ 11 mos.
  - and if I have another child, that child WILL receive every vaccine
under the sun!
How quickly we forget that infectious diseases were the #1 cause of
death in this country, as recently as 1920....