[IPp] Finally talked

I was running into the same kind of problems with my daughter Britt dx Oct 99
during school last year. The school wanted her to walk to the nurse and let
her test there. The school was over crowded and because she was in the older
class they had to walk around the building to her class in a trailer. I walked
it and it was 176 steps from the nurse. I said that would not work because if
she is having a low she would pass out before she got there. I told the school
that she could be tested by the nurse but they would need to come to her. If
she felt she needed to test they were suppose to call the nurse to come to her
needless to say they changed there mind about her testing in the nurses
office. What I have done is typed out a 5 page plan for her that I take to the
Dr that stated she can test anywhere she needs to. It also gives information
about lows and highs and everything in-between and the Dr was pleased and ask
to keep a copy to show other parents. The Dr signed the plan and stated on the
plan that this was the medical treatment that the school would need to follow
and I have not had any problems since. This is the third school she has been
in since dx we are in the military and move alot. It has been a struggle. The
second school was the one that gave the most problems. They did not was to be
liable if something happen. The only thing that happen was some boys took her
test kit while she was on the Gym floor her test kit was by the Coaches desk
and they opened it up and dared a kid to take a strip well the kid was stupid
enough to stick it in his mouth and chew on it. The school counselor was not
pleased but, she said she thinks that the other boys dared him to. These are
not little kids they were 11 and 12 year olds. She is now in a different
school and different state and with being on the pump she doesn't have to see
the nurse unless she wants to. All I can say is don't give up. Also the
superintendent can not talk to anyone about your child having diabetes with
out your consent.
Just speekin my mind in Texas
Penny mom of Brittany age 12 dx Oct 99