[IPp] Re: new pumpers and testing

Welcome to the new pumpers!  Congratulations on good start-ups and best
wishes for lots of target numbers.  Don't be discouraged if it's not always
predictable or perfect because no two days are ever the same with
kids.  Things will happen to change insulin or carb requirements
temporarily or for a long run (growth spurts, excitement, exercise, stress,
illness, inactivity, puberty, school, etc.).  The great thing is that you
can quickly remedy any unexpected highs or lows with a few beeps or a
couple of glucose tablets.  This summer I've felt like I've been chasing my
8 year old's sugars most days and every night because she's been away from
her regular routine of school and daily swim team practices.  But we test
an average of 11 times in 24 hours (thank you, insurance!) and use humalog
in her pump, so we fix what we find wrong.  And apparently we haven't done
such a bad job.  Since going on the pump at age 5, her A1c's have averaged
6.3%, but after this summer of too much tv and indoor play (it's been
awfully hot in South Carolina), we've seen many pesky highs! Well, Monday
her A1c came back 7.6%, higher than we'd prefer, but lots LOWER than I'd
expected.  Can't wait for school to start on August 7 so we can establish
our routine again.

BTW, Annie has always tested right where she is, at her desk, lunch table,
playground, gym, wherever she needs to.  She even holds her hand out of the
water long enough for me to dry a finger, prick, test, and stop the bleed
with 10 seconds of pressure right in the middle of swim practice.  And no
question, if she's low, she's not to walk (or swim) anywhere.  She sits and
someone else goes for the glucose.  Just the trip from one end of the house
to the other could use up the last bit of blood sugar she's got. We also
check before she gets out of bed in the AM.  I've heard too many stories of
kids who get up, dress, walk to the kitchen, and collapse before they reach
the fridge--mostly kids on shots, but we developed the habit back in those
bad old days and I hope she never breaks it.

I suggest you test as often as it takes to make you and your child feel
secure!  Meters are so much more efficient now, and lancets so much sharper
and tinier, testing doesn't have to be the ordeal that older diabetics or
non-d docs and cde's believe it is.  We do avoid using thumbs or first
fingers, but her other six fingers are holding up fine after four-plus
years of testing nearly every two hours.

Happy dog days, everyone!

Charlotte, pump-mama to Annie (age 8, dx'd at age 3, pumping since age 5
w/H-Tron Plus and loving it)
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful!"