[IPp] Re: escorted to nurse's office to treat lows

>tests her sugars (which as you
>all know, takes all of 2 seconds) puts everything back in her desk, and
>gets back to work......unless she is high or low, then she requests
>assistance from the teacher to get an escort to the nurse, but that
>really shouldn't happen too frequently.<<

Hi Cindy,

Are you sure you want your daughter to walk to the nurse's office to
treat a low instead of treating it right away in the classroom?  If
it isn't a long walk or there are no delays in getting there, I
suppose there is no need for concern.  A student at Noah's high
school didn't have a 504 Plan stating he was allowed to test and
treat lows in the classroom.  He was in the 9th grade wing on the
third floor and the nurse's office was in another wing on the first
floor.  While a student was escorting him to the nurse's office, he
passed out and fell down a flight of stairs.  Luckily, he wasn't
seriously injured.  But that should have never happened.  Why should
our children be expected to care for their diabetes differently while
at school and be put in compromising (and even dangerous) situations
such as:

1)  risking a severe low because there is a delayed time in treatment
2)  asked to walk while low putting them at risk for falling down/passing out
3)  putting an unnecessary burden on a classmate in charge of
escorting a diabetic student to the nurse's office
4)  taking independent care away from our children (which we are
trying to
5)  making diabetes care more difficult than it has to be or should be
6)  putting more attention and focus on our diabetic children by
making them take extra steps in caring for their disease

Just some food for thought.  Everyone feels differently on the
subject.  I personally feel Noah should be able to care for his
diabetes independently, and in the same way he does at home and
everywhere else, while at school with NO interference from any school
personnel.  Our 504 Plan covers all the bases in regards to that.
Fortunately, our school district hasn't given us any problems, but we
were the first family to ask for a 504 Plan and have his care covered
the way we saw fit.  I was surprised by that.  The nurse is the one
who suggested that he have a "buddy" assigned to walk him to her
office to test and treat lows/highs.  I told her it was unacceptable
(for some of the reasons stated above).  I also mentioned I was
surprised they never had any problems in the past.  She then told me
the story of the 9th grade boy was passed out!  Can you believe it!
Even after that happened, she still felt it was okay to keep on doing
it the same old way!  Unbelievable!!

Anyway, just another perspective.  I know you are passionate about
outlining a good plan for your daughter and will do what you feel is
best for her situation.

Let us know how it all finally turns out with your school district.

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o Noah