Re: [IPp] Re: right to test in classroom

Dear Cindy,

  Thank you so much.  Monday morning I will be calling the state health
department, and getting the ball rolling on this.  I find it utterly
ridiculous to have to even have to go through all this because of
ignorance in an educated person.  My feelings are that we have to fight
every day to keep on top of our children's health and well being, we
shouldn't have to fight with school personel for them to continue the
health and well being of our children while they are there at the
school.  It makes me so mad to even be forced to have to go through all
of this, wasting time and energy on something ludicrous, instead of
spending it with my 3 children.

Thank you again for the advice, I will certainly make that call.  Sorry I
rambled on, just a little tired.....I;m sure you all understand.

>From: Kress Family >Reply-To: email @ redacted
>To: email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Re: right to
test in classroom >Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:30:54 -0500 > >Hi Cindy, >
>Just in case you want to pursue this avenue...when Noah started high
>school, the nurse said there was a law that prevented him from being
>able to test anywhere but the nurse's office due to contamination. >I
>asked her for the specific law and then called our state health
>department and asked them about the issue. They said the law didn't
>pertain to blood glucose testing, that blood glucose testing was not
>considered to be a risk for ANYTHING or ANYONE. They also went on >to
>say there was no state mandate on disposal of test strips. The >state
>department simply didn't recognize diabetes bg testing to be a >health
>concern for anyone. When I went back to the nurse with this
>information, I never heard another word from her on the subject. >You
>may want to contact your state department of health (they can refer >you
to the correct sub-division office) so you are prepared in case >the
school district tries to throw a law at you that doesn't apply >to
>diabetics. You could even give the superintendent the contact >person
>and his/her phone number so he can verify the information. > >Someone
had stated their school will not allow teachers/aides to >oversee bg
testing for fear of blood contact...that teachers/aides >were not allowed
to be exposed to blood. This is just a policy the >school district has
adopted, one that certainly wouldn't hold up in >the eyes of the law. >
>On another subject, I totally agree with Beverly about not signing >an
>agreement/plan I didn't agree with to appease the higher-ups and >then
>rely on a verbal contract with the principle. Too risky. Plus, if >you
stick to your guns and get your daughter the care she deserves >and has a
right to, you have paved the way for others who will >follow >in your
foot steps...and helped educate school administrators in the >process. A
win-win situation for everyone! > >Cindy, mom to 15 y/o Noah