[IPp] Re: right to test in classroom

Hi Cindy,

Just in case you want to pursue this avenue...when Noah started high
school, the nurse said there was a law that prevented him from being
able to test anywhere but the nurse's office due to contamination.  I
asked her for the specific law and then called our state health
department and asked them about the issue.  They said the law didn't
pertain to blood glucose testing, that blood glucose testing was not
considered to be a risk for ANYTHING or ANYONE.  They also went on to
say there was no state mandate on disposal of test strips.  The state
department simply didn't recognize diabetes bg testing to be a health
concern for anyone.  When I went back to the nurse with this
information, I never heard another word from her on the subject.  You
may want to contact your state department of health (they can refer
you to the correct sub-division office) so you are prepared in case
the school district tries to throw a law at you that doesn't apply to
diabetics.  You could even give the superintendent the contact person
and his/her phone number so he can verify the information.

Someone had stated their school will not allow teachers/aides to
oversee bg testing for fear of blood contact...that teachers/aides
were not allowed to be exposed to blood.  This is just a policy the
school district has adopted, one that certainly wouldn't hold up in
the eyes of the law.

On another subject, I totally agree with Beverly about not signing an
agreement/plan I didn't agree with to appease the higher-ups and then
rely on a verbal contract with the principle.  Too risky.  Plus, if
you stick to your guns and get your daughter the care she deserves
and has a right to, you have paved the way for others who will follow
in your foot steps...and helped educate school administrators in the
process.  A win-win situation for everyone!

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o Noah