Re: [IPp] BG testing and a response

> Thank you Mike,
>   And this is why I sent that letter out there.  Do you mind if I take
what
> you wrote and use it?
> Thanks,  Cindy

You might want to reconsider. I think Mike Swaithes may just be kidding you.
I highly doubt the scholl is much concerned about blood that goes in the
test strips. They are probably more concerned sources of blood contamination
and once you start pricking fingers there is blood in a number of other
place rather than the strips (wipes, drips, smears, etc.) Furthermore if you
want to bamboozle someone with numbers watch out because they may respond
with a similar calculation showing how may pathogens (a lot) could be in
that one sixteenth ounce of blood.

Pat

> >From: "Mike Swaithes" <email @ redacted>
> >To: <email @ redacted>
> >Subject: [IPp] BG testing and a response
> >Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:35:30 -0500
> >
> >Take this argument to your meeting.(a variation came from Tim on CWD)
> >
> >(The Blood)
> >Our One-Touch Ultra uses 1 ul(micro-liters)of blood for each test and we
> >test on average every 2 hours, so in a typical day there are usually 4
> >tests, resulting in 4 ul of blood. There are 29,573.53 ul of blood in one
> >ounce, in other words, based on a 184 day school year, it would 7393
school
> >days or 40 years to generate enough blood to test a full ounce at school.
> >
> >Of course, if you use the Freestyle you use 1/3 the blood volume
described
> >above, so it would take 120 years to obtain a full ounce.
> >
> >How would this quantity of bodily fluids compare to say a bloody nose or
> >trashcan of used Kleenex?
> >
> >(The Sharps)
> >If it's the sharps, well we use new one every morning and is not removed
> >until she gets home after school, so there is no biohazard to dispose of.
> >The lancet is far less dangerous than a new protractor or freshly sharpen
> >pencil.
> >Put another way, he tests about one sixteenth of an ounce of blood per
year
> >(180 days) of school.
> >
> >(The disruption of class)
> >Do we need to get into the affects my daughter leaving the class has on
the
> >class, the other person (she can't go alone) and her. If it is proposed
> >that
> >she must leave to test, I am afraid that she will refrain from testing as
> >needed, which could result in a rather severe emergency, not to mention
> >some
> >liability to the school district. And leaving the class with a classmate
> >will result in two people missing classroom lessons. When she is low, she
> >does not think rationally and should not be permitted to wander the
halls.

> >What information do you have in your 504 plan? You have to know your
stuff
> >and be ready for what they present. We like Lindsey testing anywhere she
> >thinks she needs to, doesn't flaunt it, but doesn't really hide it
either.
> >The first few times the class all gathered around and watched, it was an
> >educational time for teachers and students. NOW they all know what to
look
> >for and kind of help keep a watch on her.
> >Good luck
> >Mike

Lattimer