Re: [IPp] Fwd: Testing blood sugars in the classroom

> Please tell me what you think of this letter that I e mailed to the iron
> wall of not testing blood sugars in the classroom.
> >From: "Cindy Lattimer" <email @ redacted>
> >To: email @ redacted
> >CC: email @ redacted
> >Subject: Testing blood sugars in the classroom
> >Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:45:20 -0400
> >

> >Dear Mr. McCartney,
> >  I feel that it is in my daughter, Jessica Lattimer's, best interest for
> >her overall health and mental well being to check her blood sugar levels
> >the classroom.  You will be receiving a letter from The Children's
> >of Philadelphia supporting my decision in this matter.
> >  On the average day, Jessica will need to check her blood sugars before
> >lunch, 2 hours after lunch, before strenuous activities such as gym, and
> >after strenuous activities, before she goes home on the school bus, and
> >when she is not feeling well, grumpy, tired or sick.  This is more
> >than last year because she is on insulin pump therapy now which requires
> >much tighter control.  Taking all this time out of the classroom does not
> >allow her to be normal.  Being forced to go out of the classroom to test
> >her blood sugars violates her rights under the Americans with Diabetes
> >and her civil rights as an American.
> >  If Jessica's blood sugars are out of range, under 80 or over 240, I
> >that she will need to go to the nurse, escorted by a responsible adult to
> >be treated accordingly with a plan already set up from CHOP and her 504
> >plan, however when her blood sugars are in range there is absolutely no
> >reason to make Jessica feel abnormal and force her to miss precious
> >classroom instruction time.  A plan can be worked out to make sure that
> >does not disrupt classroom activities, and that waste is disposed of
> >properly.
> >  After speaking with doctors, both at CHOP and elsewhere, other parents,
> >both with diabetic children and without, and Jessica herself, I feel that
> >it is in her best interest to pursue this matter to its fullest to
> >Jessica's rights.
> >  I will thank you in advance for your full support and entire
> >in this matter.
> >Sincerely,
> >Cynthia Lattimer

Just a thought.  I would amend this to have her treat low blood sugar in the
classroom. It is much safer that having her walk, even with someone, to the
nurse's office.  It's easy to do.  I have fruit snacks and/or juice boxes in
all my son's classrooms.