Re: [IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #125

> My motto is
> and always has been (even before diabetes):  "He won't go to college still
> breastfeeding, in pull-ups or sleeping in our bed!"
When Zachary was diagnosed he was 3 yrs and 3 wks and still breastfeeding.
(Naptime, first thing in the AM and bedtime)     The first demand the ENDO
team had was that he wean instantly-----we said no.    The second demand
was that we nurse ONLY at mealtime to be able to count in the carbs-----we
said no.      They gave in after I made a phone call to LaLeche League
International (I'm a certified counselor)  and had the head of Lactation
fax me a slew of published Lactation Journal Articles for them to read on
IDDM and breastfeeding/weaning.      They gave up.

Interesstingly enough, by end of the second day the nurses were happy that
he was nursing-----they'd come in to do testing or a shot and suggest we
latch him on first since he never cried then.     By day 5, the entire ENDO
team was thankful he was nursing since a severe  abdominal flu had hit the
floor and the two other new IDDM patients and Zach had all quit eating.
The other two ended up on IVs as they were dehydrating.   Zach just gave
up all foods and fluids except breastmilk and sailed right though it faster
and better than the rest.    LOL

Jennifer (20), Allison (17), Rachel (6)
Fenton, MO