RE: [IPp] Testing BG in school

I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but we had been told that the
principle of the school that your child is in is a representative for the
school district and therefore has the right to sign the 504 plan as that
representative. Once the 504 plan (read contract) is signed, the district
must obide by it.

Also, most school districts have a person at the administration level that
is the coordinator for 504s and IEP, sometimes their title has something to
do with special education. I'm sure you could call the district and ask who
this person is. I would then talk to them regarding the issue if the
principle is feeling pressured by the superintendent.

If this doesn't work, look for a parent advocate in your area. These are
people who are trained to help parents of children with disabilities work
with our wonderful public school, and it is no cost to you.

I wouldn't jump the gun on involving other parents. It could turn out for
the worse. Not all parents are thrilled about the idea of "blood" in the

I hope everything works out for you. We have insisted that our son test in
the classroom since dx (age 6), and have been successful so far, although we
have had worse battles that we have had to fight with the school
(injections, glucagon, discrimination).