[IPp] Testing BG in school

Dear All,
  You have all helped me before, now I find myself needing your help again.
Jessy will be starting 3rd grade in the fall, and I have to get together
with the principle, teacher, nurse, etc. for the 504 plan and pump training
(a trainer from minimed already said she would do it).  My problem is that I
want Jessy to be able to test her blood sugars in the classroom.  We had a
LOT of problems last year with the school nurse not following proper
procedures, and although there will be a new nurse there this year (the old
nurse resigned because she was given an ultimatum after a law suit was
brought on the school because of some other kid she harmed with anti seizure
medicine), I feel that Jessy is old enough (8, almost 9) and responsible
enough to check her own blood sugars and go to the nurse only when they are
out of range.
  The hospital has written a wonderful letter supporting me on this issue,
and they, too, feel that it is in Jessy's best interest to check in the
classroom.  I have spoken with other parents on how they feel about it, and
have only support from them.  The only wall I am running up against is the
superintendant of the school, Mr. McCartney (or Mr. McJerkMe as we have
dubbed him after this past year).  I have sent Mr. McCartney everything
possible in support of this issue, including several cases where the school
was sued for not allowing the child to test in the classroom.  I have spoken
with people from the American Diabetes Association.  I am running out of
room to breath on this issue.  I need advice.  How the #*@% do I knock down
this iron wall without the expense of a lawyer?  I have thought about
getting parents to sign a petition, saying that they don't mind having Jessy
check her blood sugars in the classroom, but I honestly don't know if I am
up to the job of tracking everyone down to get signatures.  It is a huge
school and there are 4 3rd grades, we are new to the area (moved last year)
and I still don't know everyone.  I truely want this squared away, without
embarasing Jessy, before the start of the new school year.
  The idea of Jessy feeling as normal as possible, does NOT include having
to leave to go to the nurses office 2-3 times a day, missing classwork,
recess, and whatever else they can think of for her to miss.  Last year was
a horror, I want to start this year off on the right foot.
Thank you once again in advance for all of the support, comments and wisdom
that I know you will all send to me.  You are all wonderful.
Cindy....mom to Jessy dx 1/02 pumping since 6/02, Julie (3) non-diab. and
Trevor (1) non-diab.