[IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #129

>Aren't you sorry you asked? :)
>- --
>Mom to Tarek, age 10, IDDM, dx 11-16-1998
>Pumping DTron since 1-12-2001
>Denver, Colorado

Hi Allison,

Poor Tarek!  What a traumatic experience.  I hope it will soon be a
distant memory for him.

Just a suggestion on a back-up plan if you pump ever quits working
again.  Instead of Ultralente, which doesn't start working for 4-6
hours and peaks in 10-16, maybe try Lantus which starts working in
2-3 hours and has almost no peak at all.  You could cover the 2-3
hours before it kicks in with Novolog or Humalog.  Another option
people have successfully used is Regular, which starts working in
30-60 minutes and lasts 4-6 hours.  Or Novolog or Humalog which start
working in 15-20 minutes and last 3-4 hours.  (These times are based
on averages from the insulin's manufacturer - of course there are
variances in each individual.)  The only drawback with the short
acting insulins is that you need to inject much more often but at
least you aren't contending with delayed start action and peaks 10
hours or more later.

One IP member's daughter used short acting insulin and injected into
her infusion set tubing somehow when her pump failed.  She never
needed to actually do an injection.  You might be able to find out
how she did it by searching the IP website "how-to" section.

I'd also discuss with your endo what he/she suggests you do if a pump
failure happens again.  Ours has recommended using Lantus and even
suggested trying it for a pump-free day of swimming or whatever.  We
haven't had the need or desire to do that, though.

Hope you never have to go through something like that again.

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o Noah