Re: [IPp] high BGs, bolusing, and record keeping

Our problem with high bgs is that sometimes she tends to bottom out 2 hours
later .  Ive tried adjusting her correction factor and that helps, but then
sometimes its not enough to get her down.  Then we have to use the unused
bolus rule to finish the correction.  I think part of our problem goes back
to the OT Ulra and variable readings discussed earlier.

It has gotten to the point with us that I dont even bother faxing or
calling Ashleys endo most of the time.  It is difficult to get to talk to
the pump nurse and they rarely return my calls.  So if I see a trend, I just
try adjusting it on my own.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.  Im
getting better at it, but our main problem is its nearly impossible to
identify trends.  She is rarely the same at the same time more than two days
in a row.  High one day at noon and low the next, etc.

One thing that has helped some has been writing everything down, as someone
mentioned earlier.  Our d-team actually loves it that we do so and always
compliments our record keeping.  I am also a person who thrives on record
keeping (yes, Im an accountant too, lol), so I like to have all the facts
laid out in front of me.  From a tip I got here off the list, I ordered My
Other Checkbook for recording everything.  My only complaint is you have to
write small, but otherwise there is a place for everything, food, carb
intake, b.g., graph, exercise, etc.  And its a simple thing to use a copy
machine at work to enlarge it to full page size if I need to fax it to her
endos office.

Angela, mom to Ashley, 4 (dxd 1/01) & Kristina, 20 mo.