Re: [IPp] high BGs and bolusing

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Cindy Lattimer wrote:

> Wow, you guys have hit a nerve with that one tonight.  2:30 am and she is
> 477, an hour ago 463, 2 hours ago 493, etc, etc....I have given her a shot
> and we are changing the site as soon as the emla cream kicks in just to be
> on the safe side.  And boy am I exhausted!  I know you are all aware of
> where I am coming from.  Tonight she ate a lot, bolused every time she ate,
> and bolused corectly each time, it was just a lot in a small period of time.
>   Carol, you are probobly right about the insulin taking more time because
> of all that she ate, it never dawned on me that this could happen.  Now I am
> worried that she will go low.God I hate this @#$%%^& disease!
> Cindy

Since you are a new pumper mom and this is probably the first "big" eat,
you should be suspicious that her ratios are not right. i.e. too high.
Keep track of her overall boluses AND high bg boluses and the total carb
intake for a while and see if there is a pattern to the highs following
carb intake. This will be useful info for your CDE to adjust ratios. With
this info you can calculate a new ratio that might work better.