Re: [IPp] Intensive Insulin Therapy

Pat,

Unfortunately, this was not our experience at all.  My son was diagnosed
last August.  He was put on a 3 shot regimen of NPH/Regular.  We were given
a schedule of meals and shots that was to be strictly adhered to.  He was to
eat a set amount of carbs at every meal, no more no less.  Sometimes he
wanted more and went hungry, sometimes he wanted less and had to choke it
down.  His control was horrible.  He looked horrible, felt horrible, and no
longer had any fun in his life.  I learned about carb counting and dosing
based what is eaten on my own - spent many, many hours researching in those
early days.  I asked for the pump, they wouldn't even discuss it.  I asked
for Novolog or Humalog, they said I wasn't "ready."  Which was BS.

Everything I read showed that pumps improved glycemic control and reduced
the risks of complications.  There is also proof that good glycemic control,
and therefore CSII helps to preserve residual beta cells.  There is still
further evidence that people with residual beta cells have less risk of
complications than those with none.  Also, a young child and especially one
who is still honeymooning has such small insulin needs that a pump makes
life much easier.  So far from being contraindicated in the honeymoon phase,
the NIH actually promotes CSII.

I added all that up and combined it with the improved quality of life and
concluded that a pump is must have.  It took a fight to find a doctor
willing to put him on a pump even though Dr. David Harlan of the NIH called
several endos on my son's behalf.  We eventually found a doctor 250 miles
away.  It is well worth the trip.

My son has been happily pumping for 7 months now.  He wouldn't give it up
for anything and neither would I.

Marisa