Re: [IPp] : middle of the night check debate

I really don

>From: email @ redacted
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IPp] : middle of the night check debate
>Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:32:30 EDT
> > Isn't the fact that you check your
> > child every night  teaching him that this disease is uncontrollable and
> > Mom can't even sleep through the night without checking, without
> > "overchecking".?  I check my son when my instinct tells me I should,
> > once in a great while.
> > Actually, I totally disagree with you...I think if anything it would
> > child to be  more responsible with regard to his disease, especially
> > have  a child that would sleep through any high or low (like my son).
> > Diabetes is unpredictable no matter who the person is.  Do you not test
> > hroughout the day or do you rely on your instincts for those times as
>I believe it is debates such as this, where we as parents take to the
>"defense" when we read something that we do not agree with.
>To each his own....
>Everyone has their own opinions, everyone has a different child. And
>honestly, by now for you veteran parents out there who have children who
>battled this disease since they were babies, toddlers...you especially
>know that Diabetes affects each child differently.  No two children are on
>the same regimen for this disease....not even twins who both have Diabetes.
>So..in short, what works for one, may or may not work for another.
>As for me, what this list has brought to me is a new world of
>world of support....not all of  the information I agree on, and so, when I
>don't, I don't type things in anger because I don't agree with something
>another parent wrote. I read it....and read on.
>I value each and every one of your opinions out there, but lets also
>we are in the same boat, and at the rate that children are being diagnosed,
>we really need to "squeeze" in so that everyone fits and feels comfortable.
> >  am so very very lucky I have a son to check on in
> >the middle of the night.
>And I also know for a fact, and from reading all of the passionate emails
>this list, that all of us feel this way about our children!!!
>Thanks for everything!  :)
>Mom to Matthew 5yrs old...Paradigm Pumper and to Victoria 7yrs old, non-d

I really don't think this issue (or any other ) should be a debate.  We are
all good parents, or we wouldn't be here trying to find out the latest
greatest ways to take care of our children.  I respect each and every one of
your opinions.  I came here to this forum to get information on getting my
child on the pump.....you all did it!  You all helped me get her on the
pump.  We are tickled pink with how her blood sugars are running, night and
day.  I use all of your advice in some way shape or form.  I enjoy the e
mails, I have questions that get answered before I even have the chance to
ask them, or even think to ask them.  I am very sorry that there is a
"debate" going on.  I personally feel it is important for my child right
now, who is 8 and beginning to develope early, to check her frequently,
especially now while we are still getting acclimated with the pump.  We
check at 12 midnight, 2 AM and 8 AM.  Sometimes in between.  I am
comfortable with that because I sleep with her and can feel her if she gets
restless or listless.  We also have two cats that sleep with us who freak
out if she is low or high. (I give them tuna fish when they do).
  I just want to say that all of you have helped me so much and I will be
forever grateful, and all of your advice that I read is invaluable, both
pros and cons to things, it is very important to get the flip side of every
issue, so that you can make your own educated decision after reading both
  Good job to all!
Cindy....mom to Jessy, 8 yrs old, pumping 1 month and happy