[IPp] Re: Middle of the night checks

In a message dated 7/14/2002 6:15:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I beleive that some here are not who they pretend to
> be and I will be unsubcribeing from this due to this.
> One week it is some one pushing novalog and the next
> the glucowatch.  I had come here thinking that I could
> find some help instead, I have been made to fill that
> I am mistreating Megan.  (Don't worry you guys got
> thru and Since I am an anxious person anyway I am
> doing checks thru the night--enough so that I can't
> sleep at all)
> Megan has a very sluggish metabolism, and that may be
> why she does well at night, also because of past
> problems she is very, very careful in counting
> carbs(which she did 2 years prior to being put on the
> pump)
> Thanks but no thanks for the "help"

Wow Wendy!!!  That is really a shame you want to leave.  My daughter has been
pumping since September of last year.  I joined Insulin pumpers a few months
before that to learn what I could about the pump.  I can't tell you what a
difference it really made to me.  I learned so much from these people.  That
is the whole reason I joined.  Was to learn.  I think if people are talking
about what works for them then of course I want to try it & see if it will
work for us.  I have found that some stuff works for my daughter & some does
not.  But, I have never felt like anyone here is trying to force me to do it.
I think most people are very passionate about their children.  If something
is working for them for example Novolog they want to tell others.  I know
that switching to Novolog was really fantastic for my daughter.  There are
others that Humalog works just fine for.  Some people are also passionate
about the pumps that they use.  It works for them & that is great.  I think
they are all great because they are so much better than injections.
The middle of the night checks is a choice we have to make as parents.  I
choose to check my daughter because if I didn't I would stay awake & worry
anyway.  If your child has good control & you don't feel the need to check
then that is your choice.  No one here is going to think you are a bad parent
because you made that choice.

I hope you will rethink your decision to leave.  You really can gain so much
from a group like this.  I know that I can't find this support anywhere else.
 None of my friends without diabetic children can understand the day to day
things I worry about.
Besides support the knowledge here is phenomenal.  I feel very lucky to be a
part of such a wonderful group of people!!!
Thanx for listening.

Kim...........Mom of Ashley 11 yrs old(diabetic for 6 years & pumping 9-24-01)