Re: [IPp] Buffet Meals & Growth Spurts

#1 -- Katie's been pumping for over a year now and we still don't use any
"designer boluses" . . . she just doesn't seem to have any delayed digestion
issues, not from diabetes and not even from the usual high fat food culprits
like pizza & Chinese (and believe me, I've watched for it) . . . I know there
are lots of folks here who will be able to help you with this, though.

How we get through buffets is each time she gets a plate we both eyeball it
and jot down a carb count estimate (we're both getting pretty good at this by
now)  when she's done with the plate we then adjust the estimate by deducting
for anything she didn't eat and bolus for that.  Since she doesn't like any
of the foods on her plate to touch, this means she often goes back 4-5 times
and brings sparsely loaded plates -- but it actually makes it easier as far
as carb counting goes.  We then check her BGs about an hour and a half after
the last bolus, and corrective if necessary.   In a way this kind of works
out like a designer bolus, I guess . . . We do the same thing for restaurant
meals (non-buffet):  bolus for the bread, bolus for the dressing on the
salad, bolus for the meal, bolus for dessert (if she has it).  Works for us .
. .

#2 -- I've found that growth spurts affect Katie in two ways:  eating and
night time hormones.  Usually, she suddenly becomes a much bigger eater for
anywhere from 2-6 weeks (just one more reason we love the pump!).  The
overnight hormone-induced insulin resistence stuff that usually is a midnight
to 3-5 am sort of thing has lasted anywhere from 4-9 days and usually is 5 or
6 days.

Pumpmama to Katie