[IPp] Re: Middle of the night Checks

In a message dated 7/12/2002 9:10:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> That is interesting. What I've heard is that extreme lows are less common on
> the pump than on MDI based intensive insulin therapy. That is certainly the
> situation in my case. No lows requiring external assistance in almost 2
> years since going on the pump.

That is great, Pat!!  I'm glad your control is so great!!!  But, we are
talking about children.  With an adult on the pump I think it is easier to
control your numbers.  With a child it is a bit more difficult.  Especially
when there are so many different things going on with kids.  You have growth
spurts & hormones.  Also the Dawn Phenomenon is a big problem with alot of
kids.  My daughter has trouble with this & it seems like just when we have
the numbers right & her night time numbers are under control everything
changes.  Before school let out we had for the most part perfect numbers.
When school let out her numbers went all over the place.  After talking with
her doctor we assume it is the change in activity.  So we are changing basal
rates yet again.  We are also fighting hormones & growth spurts.

Kim...........Mom of Ashley 11 yrs old(diabetic for 6 years & pumping 9-24-01)