Re: [IPp] Re: middle of the night checks

> Michael, how does she know she is low the first time during the
> night?  Does she set an alarm to check or just test right before she
> goes to bed?  Or whatever?

Yes, yes and yes. She does all of those things. I know from what
she's told me that she doesn't always succeed either. Scares the c..p
out of me. She's real good about checking before bed and if she's low
she'll just read or study for a couple of hours and keep checking
(she hates to waste time) and will not sleep until bg's have been
stable for a couple of hours after correction with glucose or a
snack. When she was at home we sort of started that routine, but I
would let her sleep and wake her every 30-min to 1 hour if she was
having a low. I found that having her correct to a target of 150 or
higher would usually (but not always) result in bg's around 100 if
she was going low. Sometimes 2-3 tries were necessary but not always.
I'd check her every 20 - 30 minutes after correction and after an
hour of stable bg's would not wake her again. This appears to have
worked when she was younger and I guess she still uses more or less
the same procedure on her own. Since she's my oldest, I'm still
learning the "parent ropes", but I suspect that even when she's 50,
I'll still worry and fret if I'm still around.

Michael