Re: [IPp] Middle of the Night Checks?

> We also were told that middle of the night checks were no longer
> needed.  I check my son at 9pm and then again at 11pm and again when
> he wakes up in the morning. He has been in range for every check for
> about two wks now.  BUT....the last two nights he has been high in
> the 300's. At first when I checked him at 11pm and he was 372, I
> freaked out, re tested him three times, and then checked our meter
> for accuracy, I could not believe my eyes.  We have had way more
> problems with lows than highs since pumping. I corrected and then
> re-tested an hour later. And in the morning he woke up in
> range...weird huh!

Not weird at all. Your son is probably growing. Growth occurs mostly
at night when your child is sleeping. Lily's insulin needs used to
skyrocket immediately after she went to sleep. It took a long time
and a lot of testing to figure that out. Our endo confirmed it by
explaing that some hormone or other (don't remember the name) is
released in growing kids when they go to sleep. Since bed time was
alway highly variable for Lily since she frequently stays up late to
study, we solved the problem by leaving her evening basal running
until 1-2 in the morning. She would set a temporary basal every night
when she went to bed that would run until the 1-2 cutoff of the (now
fake) evening basal. There were times when she was setting a temp
basal of 1.5u/hr for several hours -- worked great for her, YMMV.
That was back in the days of 60-90 TDD. Now she barley runs 30u/day.