Re: [IPp] Middle of the Night Checks?

> > If a low does knock them out and they have no assistance they will
> probably
> > come to and recover from it  naturally in a few hours after the insulin
> > wears off (or in the case of a pumper - after the Auto-Off shuts the pump
> > down). On the other hand if they got knocked out by an uncontrolled high
> > (DKA, etc.) and did not receive external assistance then they would not
> > recover. So by my book night time lows are not that frightening.

I have to disagree a bit here. I've checked my daughter in the middle
of the night for years and once came in to find her in mild
convulsions with blood drooling down the side of her face. This is
not a scene that a parent wants to see -- trust me on that one. There
are real dangers involved. A couple of years ago a preteen was found
"dead in bed" by her mother after a hypo in the night -- it was
reported here by one of the list members. The child was not a pumper,
but that is not really the point. She was a type one and went low on
her regular dose of insulin and died. Lots of things don't work right
when you turn off energy to the brain. Simple things like sleeping
with your head up on a pillow can cut off the airway when normal
sleeping reflexs fail to make you breath or turn over.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but making the assumption that
"everything will be alright" is not something I'm comfortable with
when it is MY CHILD that might die if I am not vigilant. Sure, once
in eight years is a pretty good record for low's that require
assistance in the night, but once is all it takes. I have awakend her
many time in the night to find her at 50 or lower and on the way
down. What might have happened all those other times when it took 100
- 200 grams of carb to stabilize her bg's?

Michael (fanatic parent)