[IPp] Re: Middle of the night Checks

In a message dated 7/11/2002 10:50:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I hear what you are saying and while I strongly disagree with most of what
> you stated, I would never say you are not welcome at the POP list . We are
> all hear to bounce ideas off each other and use them if we care to while
> trying to care for our families.You are definately right that while you are
> talking about taking care of your self we are talking about our children,
> the
> very people that we would trade places with in a second to lift them of
> this
> burden called diabetes.
> I also would never stop testing my son in the middle of the night.Because
> severe lows in childen can absolutely cause irreversable damage if not
> treated, that is why frequent checks are needed during the day so as you
> mentioned they do not occur while doing something that could make it even
> worse (driving,scuba diving, etc.)but they are also needed at night. Just
> because they are safe in bed doesn't mean they are safe from a life
> threatening low blood sugar reaction. And as has been mentioned on this
> post
> most of us who check at night are also checking to avoid high BG as well,
> which also can be life threatening is not caught in time.
> And yes the idea of "never" stopping is completely depressing,so is the
> idea
> that my son will have to live with this for the rest of his life. The whole
> thing is depressing but I can't let that stop me from protecting my child.
> My
> son is also on the pump to have better control, and he IS in excellent
> control. But just because you are in good control doesn't mean that lows
> still don't sneak up on you and as for highs, pumps are mechanical the list
> is endless as for what can fail there.
> I don't believe that "never" stop implies that I don't expect to be in
> control, We are in control and don't feel "overtaken" when a suprise low or
> high happens. You roll with the punches and learn to accept that this is
> the
> nature of diabetes.

Hi Jennifer & Pat,
  I just wanted to add my 2 cents here.
I remember talking with my doctor & Diabetes Educator about night time lows.
My daughter is prone to them.  I was told by both of them that it can be life
threatening.  That there is a chance that the body will not recover from the
low.  Also one of them mentioned to me that there was research being done on
severe lows causing brain damage.  All I know is that if my daughter is at
risk to go low at night then I will get up & check her.  Losing a little
sleep is a reasonable exchange for good numbers.
  I also wanted to say that I don't find Diabetes to be depressing at all.  I
am very optomistic that there will be a cure in my daughters lifetime.  Also
I am thankful she got diabetes & not cancer.  At least I can control
diabetes.  Of course I am not thrilled that she has diabetes but, there are
so many other diseases she could have got that are so much worse.  There are
just so many great things happening with diabetes right now.  The glucometers
are getting better & better.  And the pump is the most awesome thing ever!!!!
 We love Novolog!!!  So what's to be depressed about???
  I think if parents want to check their childs blood sugar during the night
that is awesome!!!  I see lousy parents every day ( I volunteer at a local
grade school)!!!  I am so amazed at all the wonderful parents on this list!!!
 You are all truely the best parents in the world!!!  Keep up the good work!!!
Thank you for listening:-)

Kim...........Mom of Ashley 11 yrs old(diabetic for 6 years & pumping 9-24-01)