Re: [IPp] Middle of the Night Checks?

I hear what you are saying and while I strongly disagree with most of what
you stated, I would never say you are not welcome at the POP list . We are
all hear to bounce ideas off each other and use them if we care to while
trying to care for our families.You are definately right that while you are
talking about taking care of your self we are talking about our children, the
very people that we would trade places with in a second to lift them of this
burden called diabetes.
I also would never stop testing my son in the middle of the night.Because
severe lows in childen can absolutely cause irreversable damage if not
treated, that is why frequent checks are needed during the day so as you
mentioned they do not occur while doing something that could make it even
worse (driving,scuba diving, etc.)but they are also needed at night. Just
because they are safe in bed doesn't mean they are safe from a life
threatening low blood sugar reaction. And as has been mentioned on this post
most of us who check at night are also checking to avoid high BG as well,
which also can be life threatening is not caught in time.
And yes the idea of "never" stopping is completely depressing,so is the idea
that my son will have to live with this for the rest of his life. The whole
thing is depressing but I can't let that stop me from protecting my child. My
son is also on the pump to have better control, and he IS in excellent
control. But just because you are in good control doesn't mean that lows
still don't sneak up on you and as for highs, pumps are mechanical the list
is endless as for what can fail there.
I don't believe that "never" stop implies that I don't expect to be in
control, We are in control and don't feel "overtaken" when a suprise low or
high happens. You roll with the punches and learn to accept that this is the
nature of diabetes.