Re: [IPp] Middle of the Night Checks?

> In a message dated 7/8/02 8:13:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> >
> > I would *never* stop night testing.  I cannot believe that an endo would
> > recommend stopping.  Weird.
> >
> > Susan

I suspect that I am about to wear out my welcome on the POP List but I don't
think this recommendation is weird at all.

Two main points -

The first is that a night time low is not the worst thing that happens to a
diabetic. Unless it is really severe it is unlikely that there will be
significant permanent damage. In the case that it is low enough that it
knocks them out, then it is obviously a lot better that it happens at night
in bed rather then while they were driving or scuba diving or any of a
hundred of other things that  could kill them during the day. Additionally,
If a low does knock them out and they have no assistance they will probably
come to and recover from it  naturally in a few hours after the insulin
wears off (or in the case of a pumper - after the Auto-Off shuts the pump
down). On the other hand if they got knocked out by an uncontrolled high
(DKA, etc.) and did not receive external assistance then they would not
recover. So by my book night time lows are not that frightening.

The second issue is that the attitude of "I would *never* stop ..." is
rather depressing. I'm on the pump so that I can better control this disease
and I firmly believe that I will learn to be in control and not overtaken by
surprising Lows (or highs). "*Never* stop" implies you don't expect to be in
control and I not ready to accept that.

With all that being said I do accept that the situation is different in that
I am taking care of myself rather than taking care of someone else.