[IPp] Re: reservoir questions

In a message dated 7/10/2002 10:43:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My questions are:
> Is it okay to use up Humalog from one bottle and top it off with Humalog
> from a new bottle?  Are there problems (more chance of bubbles in the
> reservoir, contamination, mixing opened and fresh Humalog compromising the
> effectiveness of the combined insulin in the reservoir)?  Do any other
> families do this?  Any problems I didn't mention, or validation of the ones

Hi Allison,
  I guess I am one of those people who can not waste anything.  I always use
the insulin in the bottom of the bottle.  I also have another bottle that I
put left over insulin from the reservoir in.  Just in case.  I feel like if
for whatever reason I have that little bit of extra insulin there in an
emergency.  I also save all of my used reservoirs in a box just in case. LOL
I just can't bring myself to throw it away.  Especially since I know there
are people out there without insurance who can barely afford to buy insulin.
So it makes me feel bad to throw it away.  I guess it's like the starving
people my Mom was always telling about while trying to make me eat all of my
  Also I still check Ashley in the middle of the night.  Didn't get to answer
that question earlier:-)  My Doctor asked me yesterday why I am still doing
it.  I told him "You just never know."  So I will continue to check her.  It
makes me feel good to do it.

Kim...........Mom of Ashley 11 yrs old(diabetic for 6 years & pumping 9-24-01)