Re: [IPp] Pump on Order!

I wish our pump was waterproof for every reason BUT swimming and bathing
(Kryssy tends to go low while swimming and she generally bathes just before
we insert a new site).  However, this summer several occasions have arisen
where I wished her pump was waterproof.  It wasn't the end of the world
that it wasn't, we just had to disconnect but it would have been nicer to
just have a waterproof pump and not have to stop the flow of things.  I'll
give you a few examples:

1.  Riding bikes through our neighborhood a few weekends ago.  We came upon
a street where it seemed that every other house hand their sprinklers on
watering the grass and in turn part of the sidewalk.  Kryssy wanted to
continue riding her bike through the sprinklers.  We had to disconnect her
pump and pass it over to me where I had to keep it dry.  We then continued
on our ride after reconnecting.  On the way back we had to disconnect again
for Kryssy to ride through the sprinklers one more time.

2.  Kryssy was filling up water balloons in the sink.  Everything,
including her, got wet in the process.  We had to disconnect.

3.  Kryssy was running around the backyard the other day when it was close
to 100degrees.  I was watering the flowers.  I would have loved to have
squirted her with the hose but I couldn't because she was wearing her pump.

4. Last Sunday we went to Six Flags America (amusement park).  Part of the
park is waterslides etc.  We pre-planned that we would disconnect while she
went on the water slides and keep her pump in a locker.  We had to pay $8
for the locker.  While we were on the other side of the park (connected) we
came across a few random water rides.  Not big soakers rides but you'd get
splashed none-the-less.  We had to avoid those rides (and standing on the
bridges that go over the rides where you could get splashed as the boats
came down the flume) like the plague because we were attached and at that
point the locker was about a mile away on the other side of the park.

I think you get the point.  There are a lot of small events that aren't
that big of a deal but very much aspects of childhood play.  Disconnecting
isn't the end of the world but it does stop the flow of life.  It would be
nice to just ride through a sprinkler without having to do all these extra

Sydney & Krystyna:  age 8, dx T1 1-14-00, pumping 7-23-01

email @ redacted@insulin-pumpers.org on 07/11/2002 09:58:37 AM

Please respond to email @ redacted

Sent by:    email @ redacted

To:    email @ redacted
Subject:    Re: [IPp] Pump on Order!

I have to say that I am not so sure what the big deal is when it comes to a
waterproof pump. I use the Paradigm for my five yr old son Matthew, and
he swims and bathes we disconnect.  I know that he would not want to stay
attached to it while swimming, disconnecting gives him more freedom.  And
honestly, if he were to stay connected while swimming, he would go
dangerously low.
Maybe I am missing something about the waterproof feature, being fairly new
to pumping. But I love our pump and could care less about it being
Pump-mommy to Matthew (5) dx 3/99, pumping-Paradigm since 5/1/02
and to Victoria (7), non-D
West Hartford, Conn.