Re: [IPp] Carb Ratios

In a message dated 7/9/2002 1:44:49 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I wonder which method is easier?????

I think whichever method you know is probably "easier" . . .

One big thing I like about carb counting is that it is more precise --
because I can dose more precisely on the pump that I ever could with a
syringe and because the "carb units"  method are really a ballpark method
with a "unit" or "serving" actually ranging anywhere from 10-12 grams of
carbs to maybe 20 or more . . . Just look at the nutrition labels on various
packages of bread at the grocery store and you'll see what I mean.  One slice
of bread is considered one carb unit, but I have seen sliced bread ranging
from 10 grams of carbs to 28 (and bread is one of the easier things to deal

When Katie was diagnosed they basically showed us both the carb unit method
and the carb counting method.  ALthough the BDC favors carb counting, they
recognize that the math is not something some people are comfortable with . .
. All of us went for for carb counting right off the bat for a variety of
reasons -- one of which being is that people (especially kids) just don't
naturally eat in "carb unit" sized servings.  Granted, this meant that we
ended up doing a lot of weighing and measuring of food in the beginning of
carb counting in order to get it right, but now all of us, even my daughter
are pretty good at eyeballing food (even at a restaurant) and coming up with
carb estimates that are nearly always pretty right on . . . and, thanks to
the pump, even if we're off, it's quick and easy to fix when we check two
hour later.

Just my 2 cents
Pumpmama to Katie (11)