From: "Suzanne Henbest" <email @ redacted>

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:09:03
To:<email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPp] Post-breakfast highs

Hi Octavia, sounds like my situation all over again.  A couple of things,
since Alisa isn't a big breakfast eater it sounds like the meal plan needs
to be adjusted to fit her needs.  If you realistically think you can get 30g
of carbs ( 1/2 bananna and a waffle) and maybe a protein (cheese stick or
egg)  for example,  I would push your endo to adjust her insulin to fit what
she is likely to eat in a reasonable setting.  You can always add a little
more to her snack and lunch to make sure she gets the recommended daily
allowances.  Second, the fact that you are checking her BS within such a
short period of time of her completing her meal will  give you a high
reading, the carbs have hit her BS but the insulin hasn't.  If you can get
some protein in with that cereal or waffle that would help tremendously.  I
use fibersure in my daughters cereal every day, it disolves into the milk
and she doesn't know it is there, the 5g of fiber can actually be subtracted
from your carb grams.  Another piece of information, many of the items you
mention, cereal, waffle, bananna, raisins all tend to have a pretty high
glycemia index, meaning they absorb into her BS very quickly and the insulin
comes in after meal so it has to catch up, thus the reason for the peaks.  I
was so frustrated trying to force Megan to eat food she wasn't hungry for
(or juice boxes to make up the shortage) so that I could then give her
insulin to offset it and it just doesn't make sense.  Not to mention insulin
is a hormone which effects the children in other ways.  We were all much
happier when we designed her meal plans to fit with what she would
realistically eat.  Given her age I know you have to make sure she is
getting all the nutrients she needs but maybe there is a way to spread it
out over the entire day so it fits with her eating style better.  As she
gets a little older her appetite and change and her meal plan will need to
be adjusted many times but this might help for the short term.  Good luck,
Suzanne