RE: [IPp] Why are so many doctors so resistant to starting a patient on a pump

 I agree with the poster who said come prepared and stay convicted. We have an
endo who considers themselves to be very pro-pump. However we wanted the Omnipod
for our son and they all but told us we were idiots for considering such a
thing. I found that inconsistent for a clinic who claimed to be so progressive.
But I knew what I wanted and didn't budge. They went along reluctantly - kindof
with the attitude that we would learn from our mistake and they were just
humoring us. Caleb was the youngest Omnipod user at their clinic, but we are
very pleased and things are working great. They ask us questions now so they can
counsel other patients.

  You know what's best for you and your child. Only you. You do what you know is
best. Go confident and prepared.

  We were told that insurance would not approve a pump before 6 months of
experience with shots. That was not the case. We were approved after a couple of
months, having great control on injections without any questions. We were also
told that getting the amount of insulin needed for the pods would be a problem
bc the pods needs 100 units to be activated yet a child uses much less than that
over 3 days and insurance would never pay for such waste. Again completely
untrue. My point being there's a lot of misinformation out there. It can be hard
to sift through, but you can get there and good information is great.

  People have suggested books - I can't remember if "Think Like a Pancreas" was
among them. "Pumping Insulin" is great, but it's very technical - more like a
text book. "Think like a Pancreas" lacks some of the technical, but it a little
easier to read through and get a good overall understanding of things including
pumping. I think the combo of the 2 books is great. Although, both are targeted
toward adults.

  Good luck.

  Lorraine

Elvisa <email @ redacted> wrote:

Hi Lisa
We found that when it came to talking about a pump, about 6 years ago, the
doctor was not trained up on it - in fact, he knew less than we did about
the insulin pump. So therefore he talked us out of it. However, the endo who
encouraged us to use the pump was fully trained with a fully trained team.
I wouldn't waste my time pushing it with the doctor who is not willing.
He/She won't be able to help you anyway. Look for a good endo who'll support
you.
We had to travel to get to our endo at times but he also visits our city
twice or more a year.
If pumping was the only form of diabetes therapy, nobody would be giving you
excuses not to use it. But let me tell you, it is the best therapy.
Injections are becoming a thing of the past, rapidly. To us, injections are
primitive and anybody with diabetes should not have to go on them.
Also, the Pumping Insulin book by John Walsh and Ruth Roberts is probably
one of the best texts you can get. However, we need a text which focuses on
children pumping insulin. We found there is more info to be published
regarding children with type 1 and how they should use the pump.

In the meantime, I would be channelling my energies into searching for that
endo who is pump trained. The only thing stopping them from putting your
child on the pump then would be if you actually lacked commitment - because
it does require that to get wonderful results. I don't think you will have a
problem with that.

Good Luck !

Mom to Christian 9 yo.