Re: [IPp] Why are so many doctors so resistant to starting a patient on a pump

Unfortunately, I think some doctor's offices are resistant because of lack
of updated education and/or lack of willingness to put in the extra time
answering questions, adjusting settings, etc. that new pumpers may require.
Google searches will give you research that supports honeymooners on pumps
and toddlers on pumps, as well as evidenence of improved quality of life on
pumps.

We pushed HARD and jumped through whatever hoops (basic diabetes classes,
carb counting classes, pre-pump classes)  they threw at us to get our
daughter on a pump less than 3 months after diagnosis.  Other families we
met in the area who had a child with diabetes still on shots with that same
doctor then realized they could do the same thing and pushed to finally get
on pumps after years of shots.

My heart goes out to your friend and her toddler daughter.  I'll thankful
she has your encouragement to push for pump.  One idea might be to connect
with a pump rep and work with them in getting the doctor on board.  I'd
recommend an Animas for a toddler.  The smaller increments are wonderful for
this age!  Please tell your friend to hang in there.

Melissa
Married to Tom 21 years
Mom to Jono (13 yrs), Jacob (8 yrs)
and Mollie (4 yrs, dx 9-16-05, pumping Animas 12-12-05, MiniMed Minilink
6-07, now PINK Animas!)
Nebraska

"Often the greatest micracles happen to those who are desperate for one."
---S. Omartian