RE: [IPp] CGMS

Hi Gretchen:

 My son Jake has been using the CGMS since July, 2006. He was 20 months old when
we started using it. Jake was diagnosed with diabetes at 12 months. Now he is 3.
I must admit it took us 6 months to feel comfortable with the CGMS and trust it.
I wanted to send it back when we first started using it. We hated it. The
numbers were really off and Jake would cry extremely hard when we inserted it.
It would break my heart to watch him with it. It took a while to learn how to
use it. They also decreased the size of the monitor which helped. Now we love
it. Don't expect miracles right away but stick with it. If you have trouble -
call Metronics and ask them to send a trainer to your house. We did - and it was
helpful.

 The CGMS reads the sugar in your child's tissue - not the blood sugar. So the
numbers will be different. Low Blood sugar from a glucometer ( blood sugar)
shows up low quicker than the sugars detected by the CGMS. Since the CGMs is
detecting low sugar in the tissue the numbers are higher and take longer to
register low blood sugar. For example: When my son's blood sugar is reading 60 -
the CGMS is showing up as 80 or 90. The key to notice the CGMS trends. You'll
start to learn when your child's blood sugar is going down or rising - based on
the arrows that appear. Two arrows up or down means the blood sugar is rising or
falling 1 point per minute. You'll need to react quickly when you see 2 arrows
going down.

Here are some helpful hints that we found:

 1. When you insert the CGMS sensor - do not insert it straight into the skin.
Try to insert it at an angle. If you go straight in - you will be in tissue that
does not have a lot of blood near it. The bloody tissue is closer to the surface
of the skin and we find the numbers are more accurate.

 2. Calibrate the CGMS before your child eats. You should probably calibrate 3
times a day. Once we figured this out our numbers got more accurate. We
calibrate before breakfast, before dinner and then at 11 pm at night while my
child is sleeping.

 3. The CGMS is usually 20-30 points different than the glucometer. Sometimes
it's more. Never trust the the CGMS numbers without checking the blood sugar.
The CGMS is not supposed to replace your glucometer. ( However, we now realize
that the CGMS is closer to how Jake is feeling than the blood sugar reading from
the glucometer. I think his brain doesn't register low blood sugar right away.
So we think the CGMS is a better picture of what Jake is actually feeling).

 4. IT is hard to hear the CGMS alarm when your child is showing low blood sugar
- especially at night. The alarm does not wake up my 3 year old. This is a
problem for us. We have a baby monitor in Jake's room and sometimes we hear the
alarm and sometimes we don't. Just be aware of this.

 Let me know if you have other questions. I'll be glad to give you more pointers
when you are ready. We've been using it a while now and are pretty comfortable
with it. We really like the CGMS now. It's saved us several times from serious
lows.

Good luck!

 Joy - mom to Jake age 3, dxd 12/05 at 12 months. Pumping minimed since 5/06,
cgms since 7/06