[IPp] Adult Interaction

When Allie was first diagnosed in Dec 2002, my oldest daughter, Torrie,
had a teacher who was also diabetic.

Torrie talked with this teacher quite a bit about diabetes.  When we'd
have to go to the school this teacher would talk with Allie, too, making
sure that Allie knew that she also had diabetes.

The other day we were at the school and this teacher saw Allie and saw
her pump pack and commented about it.  She then proceeded to show Allie
her own pump that she had just barely started.  Allie just lit up,
finally being able to see tangible proof that the teacher had diabetes.
Last night at my son's science fair we again saw the teacher and she and
Allie compared pumps once more.

Allie really seemed to enjoy showing the pump to the teacher.  She is
not always so willing to show others.

I've found it very helpful to make Allie feel better about her pump to
let her talk with others, especially adults, who wear pumps.    I hope
others have the same opportunities to have their little ones interact
with diabetic adults so they, too, can see others who live with it.

Morgan
Father to Allie.
4 Years Old.  Dx'd 12/9/2002, pumping Animas since 2/2/2004
IR1000 2/2/2004 - 8/25/2004
IR1200 8/25/2004 - Present