[IPp] Out of control flu

The flu seems to do the same thing to my five year-old son.  The vomiting
goes on and on and on . . . and we have learned to not let any liquids in
his stomach, but to wait until the throwing up has slowed down a lot. (One
sip of liquid makes him throw up more.  We do, however, have him "swish and
spit", not letting him swallow.) Once he hasn't thrown up for a while, we
start with a small teaspoon of ice chips and gradually increase the amount.
We stay in contact not only with the CDE's but with our pediatrician's
office, as they deal with the flu all the time.  And, we turn the pump down
as soon as the levels drop; during the last flu, we were at 0% for a short
while, then mostly 25 - 70% of normal basal rates until several days pass.
Also, insulin/carb ratios change dramatically.  We haven't had to take him
into the hospital yet.  It is very, very stressful.  I, too, am interested
in phenergan (spelling?) or any other medication we can give him AT HOME to
ease his discomfort.

All the best,

Jonelle, mom to Zachary, dxd at 13 mos. of age.