Re: [IPp] Out of control flu

 Sorry to hear about this Mary. ::( I ALWAYS have an RX for Phenergan
(sp?)/Tigan suppositories for times like these with Cole. It was pure hell when
he was MDI & would vomit non-stop. Thankfully with his pump, we can reduce his
basal or just disconnect so he won't go low. We haven't had a hospitalization
for the flu or "upchucking" (technical term) since we've been on the pump! ::)

Has your doc suggested these suppositories to you?

Good luck,

Rachel in AZ - Single mom to Cole, 6.5, pumping at 4, dx'd at 23 months old

email @ redacted wrote:

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. Dan spent the weekend
in the hospital because of stomach flu. He has gotten the stomach flu three
times since his diabetes diagnosis, and all three times he's ended up in the
ER and was admitted twice. Once he starts vomiting, he cannot stop, throws
up every 15 - 30 minutes and cannot keep anything down. His numbers are always
okay and the ketones don't start until he starts getting dehydrated. Every
time it has taken zofran in an IV to get him to stop. We have tried cola
syrup at home when he first starts vomiting, but it doesn't help.

He never did this with the stomach flu before the diabetes diagnosis. None
of the endos seem to have any ideas on it. I've asked what we need to do to
prevent the trips to the hospital and they say they are probably not
preventable. Needless to say, this has me worried sick for when he goes away to
college in four and a half years.

They did a bunch of blood work and said he has Gilbert Syndrome, which is a
supposedly benign genetic liver condition where, when the body is stressed,
the liver fails to eliminate bilirubin the way it should. I'm wondering if
that has something to do with it (Doc says no). They also ran a bunch of other
blood tests, thyroid (which he has the antibodies for and they were watching
anyway, but his last test in the fall was actually verging on high), celiac
(he doesn't have any of the other symptoms this list was discssing not long
ago) and some others my husband didn't get (I was home sick with the flu too
so he took Dan in).

Any guesses or advice would be appreciated. This puts Dan through a lot
every time (Try finding a vein on a skinny dehydrated 13 year old) and I'd love
to be able to put an end to it if I could figure out how. These kids go
through enough. Thanks.

Mary
(mom of Chris, 21, Carrie, 17, guardian of Mike, 17, and mom of Dan, 13, dx
4-01, pumping Cozmo since 5-03)